Thanks - and another skazka question

Edward Dumanis edseelangs at GMAIL.COM
Sun Sep 12 18:59:42 UTC 2010

Robert,

I do not think that I am familiar with the version that you are
translating but know a famous folk tale of a similar content: "Маша и
медведь."
You can find it, e.g., at http://hyaenidae.narod.ru/story1/038.html

I think that "Подай милостыню" in your context means simply "Do a favor."
Probably, in your case, "милостыня" is just a modification from
"милость" and the expression is just a form of "Сделай милость" or
"Окажи милость."

You use "pancakes" and I am not sure what they use in your original.
The version that I have mentioned uses "пирожки."
I would think that you version uses "оладушки."
If so, it would not necessarily agree with the comment made by Will Ryan.

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis