Questions about Afanasyev's "Nesmeyana tsarevna"

Edward Dumanis edseelangs at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 13 04:55:15 UTC 2010

1. No.
The meaning of the parallel clauses there is that HE is luckier than
others: his wheat (rye?) swells, his cattle (rather, cows) kick (i.e.,
healthy, strong, in good shape), he cannot even hold his horse back
with the reins while others had to pull their horses even downhill.

2. I do not know the details of the story and whether there is any
indication there that HE was a blacksmith because his nickname sounds
like a diminutive from blacksmith in Ukrainian. Otherwise, it is just
euphony.

3. I think that "стрижка" in "мышка-стрижка" comes from "стриж"
(Стрижи́ are Swifts - lats. Apodes - and are known for their agility).
And "euphony is obviously important."

Sincerely,

Edward Dumanis