Coredemptrix

Daniel Rancour-Laferriere darancourlaferriere at COMCAST.NET
Sun Sep 12 05:29:07 UTC 2010

Dear Will Ryan,

You wrote:

> With regard to the original word which gave rise to this correspondence, "coredemptrix", it is a descriptive appellation which has not yet been subjected to the Western scholastic passion for definition, which the Orthodox tend to resist, and is not an article of faith for Catholics, though many would like it to be. Personally I hope it will remain as no more than one of the many poetic appellations of Mary in the litanies (who would want to define "Star of the Sea"?) and will never be dogmatically defined because although the underlying belief is not new or startling, the hopelessly neo-Latin term itself gives rise to both honest misunderstanding and deliberate misrepresentation.

Not so.  "Stella maris" is a passing poetic trifle, as you say, but "coredemptrix" is a serious and complex theological construct which has grown in significance ever since it developed in Spain, and especially in the "French school" from the seventeenth century onwards.  There is a VAST literature on what you ridicule as a "hopelessly neo-Latin term," and I indicated just a few items from this literature in that footnote I copied into a previous post on this list.  In any case, forget about Wiki.  Walk with the feet, not the fingers.  Go into the library of any large Christian seminary in the West, go to the section on Mary, discover how huge it is, discover the books and the journals devoted entirely to Mary (my favorite is Marianum).  Although I was once a devout Catholic, and although I have written a book about the Russian Orthodox version of Mary, I was astonished at the sheer quantity of publications on the Catholic version of Mary which I discovered here at the Gradu!
 ate Theological Union in Berkeley.  As for the possibility that coredemptrix will be "dogmatically defined," don't be dismissive.  John Paul II spoke often about it in informal terms, and this has been studied by Father Arthur Burton Calkins.  Keep an eye on Benedict XVI.

And another matter: