Thanks - and another skazka question

William Ryan wfr at SAS.AC.UK
Mon Sep 13 10:44:18 UTC 2010

  Interesting that tortillas are sold to Russians as "meksikanskie
lepyoshki". This is presumably because Russia has imported the product,
or recipe, from the US.
The British, for whom Spain is a major holiday destination and
retirement home, not to mention a refuge for fugitives from the law,
would quite probably nowadays call a tortilla a tortilla, and they would
probably mean a thick potato omelette made with sliced potatoes lightly
boiled in olive oil and then cooked in a pan in layers with beaten egg.
At one time it might have been called a Spanish omelette, but that term
was also used in cheap restaurants to denote a  revolting omelette
filled with diced frozen vegetables, mostly peas.
I think a tortilla in Mexico and the US may be different - but I have
never had one.
A fritter in Britain is pan-fried, often with sliced apple or banana, or
other filling, like olad'i as I have had them. An English school lunch
during World War II could include, on a good day, Spam or corned beef
fritters. I think English fritters are essentially the same as Russian
olad'i, although the latter often include yeast.
Context is everything.
Will