No subject

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Sep 15 03:37:26 UTC 2010

Dear SEELANGSers,
As Vitalii Chernetsky suggested, I should "have the decency to apologize" for my comment, to Martha, and the whole list. Perhaps I should. The only thing I don't understand is why I should have been ashamed of "invoking vsue [presumably meaning in vain?] the name of a great person from the dissident movement" (meaning Grigorenko, I presume, whom, by the way, I knew personally and was even his priest's wife, while having no honor of ever meeting Viralii Chernetsky or Martha). If the rest of you, my colleagues, find my letter to Martha offensive, please accept my apologies. And of course, I am asking Martha herself for forgiveness. I indeed did not mean anything ad hominem, as Vitaly has suspected. I am sorry if my argument about certain paradoxes in Crimea's history, and its historical-cultural independence from both Russia and Ukraine, could have been misconstrued as a personal offense. Please accept my apologies, all who feel offended. Here is Vitaly's letter to me. Althoug!
 h !
it was private, it urged me to apologize to the whole list, so I think the list deserves to know Vitaly's own stance on the matter:

Dear Professor Meerson,

It is highly inappropriate for you to launch into such ad hominem messages at fellow SEELANGS members. Dr. Kuchar only reminded the previous poster that Evpatoriia is now part of the state of Ukraine. Your logic in linking that with her allegedly "claiming Crimea for Ukrainians" is spurious and reprehensible. The poster in no way suggested that people other than ethnic Ukrainians "do not belong" in Crimea. And invoking vsue a great person from the history of the dissident movement--for shame!

I hope you have the decency to apologize to Dr. Kuchar and the list for what you have done.

Vitaly Chernetsky