Varykino in Doctor Zhivago - important or not?

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Thu Sep 16 11:53:00 UTC 2010

I was just reading the Wikipedia page on "Doctor Zhivago", and the admin
there is proposing to delete the sub-article on Varykino, deeming it
insignificant to warrant keeping it. I think it would be nice to keep the
article because without Varykino (ie without the Zhivago family moving
there), Zhivago and Lara wouldn't have met up again in the second part of
the book.

Thoughts?

Wiki notes that "Yuriatin" was based on Perm, and Pasternak only changed the
town's name but left the street names as they were in Perm. Does Varykino
have a similar real-life inspiration?

Thanks,
Stephanie

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
THIRD SALE: 06/08/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/