Onchukov - ANSWER TO translation question - Buravchik

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sat Sep 18 06:00:09 UTC 2010

Dear all,

Several days ago I wrote to the list with the following question: “In
‘Tsar’-chernoknizhnik’, from Ozhegov’s SEVERNYE SKAZKI,  the hero, after
transforming himself into a number of different wild animals, in order to
hide from the evil tsar, бегал, бегал, прибежал перед царски окошки,
овернулся золотым буравчиком и начал кататьца перед царскими окошками. Тhe
only meaning I can find for ‘buravchik’ is gimlet.  That is not utterly
impossible, but it surprises me.  Can anyone suggest any other possible
meanings?

А couple of days ago Yelena Francis sent me a delightful and totally
convincing reply.  She has now given me her permission to share it with the
list, so here it is: “I think that "buravchik" might be translated directly
because of the second meaning of this tool. A.Toporkov's "Russian Erotical
Folklore" mentions "buravchik" as a metaphor for penis. You can look at
http://www.gumer.info/bibliotek_Buks/Culture/topork/11.php “

The hero will first sleep with, and then marry, the tsarevna, so this
reading makes perfect sense.
And I found this chastushka on page 511 of Toporkov’s book:
- Уж ты, тетушка, красавица моя,
Мне пондравилась чернильница твоя.
- Уж ты, дядюшка, красавчик мой,
Мне пондравился буравчик твой.

So here is my draft as it now stands.  I have double-translated ‘buravchik’
in an attempt to give a clue to the reader!
He ran and he ran until he came back to the tsar’s palace.  He turned into a
twisting gimlet, a little golden tool, and began dancing about outside the
tsar’s windows.  He danced and danced, then turned into a falcon and flew to
the window of the tsar’s daughter’s bedroom.  The tsarevna saw the falcon,
opened her window and called the falcon inside: ‘Come in, my fine falcon,
come in, my handsome little falcon!’  The falcon sat on the window ledge,
leaped onto the floor and turned into a handsome young man.  The tsarevna
greeted him and sat him at her oak table.  They drank and feasted and did
what was good. Then the young man turned himself into a gold ring, and the
tsarevna put this ring on her finger.

My thanks to Yelena and SEELANGS!

Robert