Tsar'-devitsa translation question

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Sep 19 20:53:10 UTC 2010

Dear all,

This is from a lesser-known variant of the story.  Ivan is, of course, the
third son:

            This made Ivan Tsarevich angry.  He said, ‘Father, great lord
and hope!  If you grant me your blessing and forgiveness, I shall ride away.
And if you do not grant me your blessing and forgiveness, I shall still ride
away.’
            And the tsar ordered him to be given the best horse, as if he
were about to go hunting.

The last words are no more than a blind guess on my part.  Here is the
Russian:
И царь приказал наилучшего коня дать, когда пущай по охоте поедет.

Am I right in understanding по охоте as being to do with hunting rather than
wishing?  And who is the subject of поедет?  Ivan – or his father the tsar?

All the best,

Robert