Soviet sociolinguistics

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Sun Sep 19 21:24:14 UTC 2010

John Dunn wrote:
>  There is, though, a 4-volume study called Русский язык и советское общество [Russkij jazyk i sovetskoe obshchestvo], edited by M.V. Panov and published in 1968.

The subtitle of the 4-volume edition was "Sotsiologo-lingvisticheskoe
issledovanie." Individual volumes were devoted to
"Leksika/Slovoobrazovanie/Morfologiia i sintaksis/Fonetika/ sovremennogo
russkogo iazyka." Accompanying this project (which was intended to mark
the fiftieth anniversary of the October Revolution) was a series of
collective volumes with parallel titles: "Razvitie sintaksisa
(leksiki/fonetiki/funktsional'nykh stilei/slovoobrazovaniia/grammatiki i
leksiki) sovremennogo russkogo iazyka" published between 1963 and 1968.
There were also volumes called "Razvitie sovremennogo russkogo iazyka"
(1963) and "Razvitie sovremennogo russkogo iazyka 1972" (1975) and a
1974 volume called "Russkii iazyk po dannym massovogo obsledovaniia.
Opyt sotsial'no-lingvisticheskogo izucheniia." There were also two
editions of I. F. Protchenko's "Leksika i slovoobrazovanie russkogo
iazyka sovetskoi epokhi. Sotsiolingvisticheskii aspekt," the second
expanded edition in 1985. There was also a series of studies of
"Russkaia razgovornaia rech'."

Bob Rothstein