Invitation to a talk next Sunday, September 26, 2010 (Divine Wisdom)

Natalia Pylypiuk natalia.pylypiuk at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Sep 20 00:58:08 UTC 2010

Dear Colleagues and Friends,

If you live in New York city (or nearby),  I cordially invite you to
my talk:

"Why Did Sophia Let Her Hair Down?  Representations of Divine Wisdom
in the Age of Mazepa"

on Sunday, September 26, 2010, at 2:00 pm,
at the Ukrainian Museum in New York
222 East 6th Street, NY 10003

This illustrated lecture explores Ukrainian imagery depicting Divine
Wisdom at the end of the XVIIth century and debunks a myth perpetrated
for more than a century by historians of Russian art. The presentation
focuses on a now lost painting bearing the imprint of political
ideology during Mazepa’s hetmancy. The political implications of
Wisdom iconography remain relevant today.

This talk is part of a series organized in conjunction with the
current exhibitions Ukraine-Sweden: At the Crossroads of History (XVII-
XVIII Centuries) and Mazepa in Print.
For more information, visit:
http://www.ukrainianmuseum.org/

A reception will follow the lecture and Q&A period.

I look forward to seeing you next Sunday.
Natalia Pylypiuk

Ukrainian Culture, Language & Literature Program
[www.arts.ualberta.ca/~ukraina/]
Modern Languages & Cultural Studies
University of Alberta