heteronormativity / diversity in foreign language pedagogy

Kevin Moss moss at MIDDLEBURY.EDU
Fri Sep 24 16:43:58 UTC 2010

My colleagues at Middlebury have begun addressing issues of
heteronormativity in language pedagogy both at Middlebury and the
schools abroad. If Seelangers out there have any thoughts on this,
I'd love to hear them. We're now expanding the discussion to include
other kinds of diversity as well (race, class, disability, where
appropriate).

Here were our original questions and the feedback from the first
meeting:

Some topics we should address:

1. How to make space in dialogues / roleplay for non-normative gender
and sexuality, family structures, romance.

2. How can we teach terms / concepts in the target language for
sexual identity: slang, in-group language, pejorative terms.

3. Textbooks: which textbooks actually allow this to happen and how
can we supplement those that don't?

4. Cultural context in the target country(ies), including what not to
say. What is the legal and social status of queers?

Feedback from the first meeting last year:

Several students commented on skits, videos, or activities that
seemed to reinforce gender/sexuality archetypes. Some faculty did not
allow, for example, two male-identified students to participate in a
dialog between marriage partners. Some class activities were
described as “appallingly normative.” In most cases, if the students
themselves took the initiative to point out these situations to
faculty, they later became more open. The general impression is that
faculty are worried that other (presumably heterosexual and
normatively gendered) students would feel uncomfortable with queering
activities, that it’s more a case of “harmless ignorance” than an
intentional policy. But should the burden of correcting the erasure
of queerness be on the students? Some students also commented that
while occasionally students did perform the “other” gender in
dialogs, this often became an object of exaggerated gender
performance and humor.

Some suggestions / best practices / things to consider:

1. Faculty can acknowledge discomfort or ignorance about the topic,
rather than merely remaining silent.

2. Make space in dialogs, skits, videos for non-heteronormative
families and romance.

3. We should find and share any resources out there, for example in
ESL pedagogy, that can serve as a model for addressing gender and
sexuality in an inclusive way. Invite language departments to think
about how their curriculum addresses these issues.

4. Some textbooks have been updated, and we would like to see
inclusion of queer gender and sexuality as well as race / ethnicity /
disability in any new materials we produce, including addressing
these issues in the K12 language initiative.

  5. Gender segregation in dorms both during the academic year and in
Language Schools naturalizes gender in a way that may make some
students uncomfortable.

  6. Gender and queer issues should be addressed in the preparation
of students for study abroad, both in upper-level courses and in the
orientation sessions run by the study abroad office (this happened
last year already and should be continued).

Kevin Moss