heteronormativity / diversity in foreign language pedagogy

Anna Ronell anna.ronell at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 24 18:07:17 UTC 2010

Hi, just thought to add my two cents to this discussion. Growing up in
the USSR and later being part of the Russian-Jewish communities both
in Israel and the US has taught me that me that Russian culture in
general (and its Soviet variant specifically) are extremely
homophobic, racist, and misogynist. The level of intolerance I have
encountered is mind-boggling, which is what I usually honestly tell
the students. It is especially important to warn the students who plan
to travel to Russia that the tolerance towards sexual difference they
take for granted in the US should not be expected in Russia.