Tsar'-devitsa again

Boris Dralyuk ingsoc at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 26 16:06:10 UTC 2010

I think Alexandra is quite right about the implication of challenge, but I don't see why you ought to jettison "honour".  Why not simply orient the phrase toward the future: "What a great honour it would be?"  That seems to handle the challenge.  Also, I read the "Chto" in Tarkovsky's lovely poem a bit differently; the construction there seems to mean "What does X matter to me, when...?"  In the fairytale, the "Что...?" is closer to "Какая...?" -- in other words, it's "Что (за)...?"

What one can do with a few words!

Yours,
Boris