Tsar'-devitsa : 3 questions

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Sun Sep 26 16:26:09 UTC 2010

Dear all,

First:
With regard to my earlier question about “Что мне не честь!”, I am wondering
whether "Что" can best be understood as a substitute for "Неужели": "Is it
not an honour for me?"  This is, in fact, close to the meanings advanced by
Boris and Sasha.

That честь is indeed a noun here is (at least partially) confirmed by a
later occurrence in this story of the phrase "Не честь–хвала да молдецкая!"

____________________________

After going to bed with the Tsar'-devitsa, Ivan makes his escape.  She
chases after him.  She speaks in turn to 3 Baba Yaga figures (she is, in
fact, their niece). They all do their best to help Ivan, who has made
friends with them earlier in the story.

To the Tsar-Maiden's question as to whether she has seen Ivan, the first
Yaga replies:
"Ах, мое дитятко!" говорит.  "И никуда от твоих рук уйдет; он колом
погоняет."

The second Yaga replies:
"Дитятко!" говорит.  "Какой-то дурачек едет; бьет - лошаденка поткается;
больше нейдет."

And the third replies:
"Какой-то дурак уж на кони кожу несет."

All three Yagas are basically saying that Ivan is struggling to keep his
exhausted horse on the go, that he is having to whip it and beat it.  Am I
right in understanding the third Yaga to be saying that he is, in effect,
flaying his horse, whipping the skin off it?

And lastly

Ivan's elder brother robs him of his various trophies.  Ivan returns to his
city incognito and on foot.  But I don't understand the very last words in
this paragraph.  What does на ряду mean here?
Идет Иван-царевич пешком в свой град.  И зайди по питейным домам, с
удальцами на ряду.

SPASIBO!

Robert

R.