S belykh gryadochek + excrement

Robert Chandler kcf19 at DIAL.PIPEX.COM
Tue Sep 28 12:37:15 UTC 2010

Dear all,

This is from the beginning of a version of ‘Po shcuchemu veleniyu’ collected
by Zelenin.

Берет он с залавочка ведерца, а с белых грядочек – коромысличё.

The notes  inform me that залавочёк is a chicken coop, and that the top of
it was used as a shelf.  But what are these белые грядочки?

        ***

This version is full of references to excrement.  At the beginning, Emelyan
lies on his stove surrounded by his own shit.  Later, when he rides on his
pechka to the Tsar’s palace, the smell makes the Tsar feel sick.

Once again I am out of my depth.  So I will be very grateful for help from
anyone who does not mind reading about such disgusting matters!

1.  (As he returns from fetching water) Ведерча идут, а он идет сзади, бежит
– г..ёшки коромыслом подшибает.  Бежит он, хохочет.  Is this correct?   The
pails made their way back, and he ran along behind them, batting turds along
the ground bwith the yoke.

2.  The Tsar sends a regiment of soldiers to deal with him.  He remains
carefree as ever on top of his stove.  When they ask if he is at home, he
replies, ‘Дома!... На печке лежу, комы гложу, некуда не хожу (DOES комы
гложу MEAN HE IS EATING HIS OWN SHIT?!)

3. Солдатов полок заскакал - хто пушкам палит, хто тесаком, а чево – ево
несколь не берёт: фсё в комы лепит.  (I DON’T UNDERSTAND THIS AT ALL!)

HERE IS THE WHOLE PARA, OR RATHER AS MUCH OF IT AS I CAN DO. The Tsar heard
news of all this. He sent off a whole regiment of soldiers.  They marched up
to his porch.  ‘Is Omelyanushko at home?’  ‘Yes, I’m at home, lying in the
warm on top of the stove.  ???  The soldiers began to rush about.  Some
fired cannons, others swung hatchets.  But what did he care?    ???? ‘By my
father’s blessing, by my mother’s blessing, by the pike’s command!’  He had
only to lift his hand – and he felled the whole regiment.

Thank you, as always!

R.