Vocalics & " честь-хвала"discussion.

Iaroslav Pankovskyi yasicus at RAMBLER.RU
Wed Sep 29 16:23:17 UTC 2010

Dear Robert and All,
I have been observing the "честь-хвала" discussion for some time now.
>From my perspective I would like to say that it is not only the lexical
meaning that matters but also nonverbal means of communication
(I love them). Vocalics (intonation, speech volume, speed of speech)
are all important. Sometimes so much important that they complitely
alter the meaning.

Think of a mother mother and her little son. The boy breaks a vase
and she tells him "What a good boy!" Does she really mean "a good boy"
or rather "naughty boy"? In fact both the mother and the boy understand
what she really means. Why? Due to the variations in speech, vocalics.

Now, going back to "честь-хвала". I strongly believe that Russian speech
can be highly emotional. And "честь-хвала" may be just such a case.
In my opinion, pronounced correspondingly it will mean "Ah,
[whatsoever]...".
It actually make very little sense on its own out of context.

Best wishes,
Iaroslav P.

Dear Robert and all,

I don't know whether the following goes without saying, but I know with
some certainty that "Не честь–хвала да молодецкая!" is a fixed epithet
reflecting a bogatyr's shame in many bylinas. Pace this from "Илья
Муромец в ссоре с князем Владимиром":

«А не честь-хвала да молодецкая
Сидеть русскому могучему богатырю
С голью кабацкою, с нищетой бедняцкою, [...]»

So here, "не честь-хвала" is unambiguously a negation - our hero is
"бесчестный" and "непохвальный", keeping such company. The scene also
recalls your fairytale's Ivan-Tsarevich, incognito "с удальцами на
ряду."

I hope that helps a bit!

Yours,
Boris