Mark Twain censorship?

yelena kalinsky kyelenak at GMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 29 18:55:19 UTC 2010

Thanks for the leads, everyone.

The only things I've been able to dig up so far is a few statements to the
effect that Twain had been "labeled a bourgeois writer" (The Mark Twain
Encyclopedia) and that his books were "confiscated at the border" in 1930,
but had "become best sellers in the Soviet Union" by 1946. (Banned Books:
387 BC to 1978 AD). But there are no citations given to actual instances. I
know that Twain was hugely popular, and it makes sense that his descriptions
of Russia might have been cut in tsarist times, but I'm curious whether
Twain's satire ever faced political accusations in the Soviet period despite
its popularity.

best,

Yelena