Mark Twain censorship?

Boris Dralyuk ingsoc at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 29 20:03:21 UTC 2010

Dear Yelena,

It's hard going, I know!  See if these help:

Choldin, Marianna Tax and Maurice Friedberg, eds. The Red Pencil: Artists, Scholars, and Censors in the USSR. Boston: Unwin Hyman, 1989.

Friedberg, Maurice. Literary Translation in Russia: A Cultural History. University Park: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1997.

Leighton, Lauren G. Two Worlds, One Art: Literary Translation in Russia and America. Dekalb: Northern Illinois University Press, 1991.

Magidoff, Robert. In Anger and Pity: A Report on Russia. Garden City, N.Y.: Doubleday, 1949.  Pp. 230-233.

Also, see what Kornei Chukovskii says about his experiences translating Twain.  The other translators include Mariia Lorie and N. Daruzes.

I hope that helps!

Yours,
Boris Dralyuk
UCLA