Samizdat [was: Mark Twain censorship?]

Simon Beattie Simon at SIMONBEATTIE.CO.UK
Thu Sep 30 11:57:12 UTC 2010

Thank you, Alexandra and Yelena, for the suggestions.  I do read German, so
I'll try and see a copy of the book.

Simon

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list
[mailto:SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Yelena Kalinsky
Sent: 30 September 2010 12:51
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] Samizdat [was: Mark Twain censorship?]

Dear Simon,

If you read German, take a look at Samizdat. Alternative Kultur in Zentral-
und Osteuropa: Die 60er bis 80er Jahre (Bremen: Edition Temmen, 2000). It
was published by the Forschungsstelle Osteuropa in Bremen, which houses an
excellent collection of samizdat materials from Central and Eastern Europe.
The book also reproduces many objects from the archive, so even if you don't
read German, you can see what samizdat materials actually looked like.

best,

Yelena Kalinsky

PhD candidate
Rutgers University