reproduction rights for photographs

Anna Reid annareid01 at BTINTERNET.COM
Mon Apr 4 23:38:15 UTC 2011

Does anyone have advice on obtaining reproduction rights for photographs
from Russian government archives? I am in correspondence with St
Petersburg's Kinofonofoto archive on using a selection of their pictures for
a book, and am having difficulty putting over the distinction between
obtaining physical scans of the photographs (which I have already), and the
legal right to use them. What I would love to hear is that photographs from
state archives are in the public domain, though I fear this is not the case.
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Anna Reid, London.