reproduction rights for photographs

Brewer, Michael brewerm at U.LIBRARY.ARIZONA.EDU
Tue Apr 5 00:17:39 UTC 2011

Anna,

It is doubtful that the archive owns the rights in the first place.  Janice Pilch, at UIUC may be able to help with determining if the photos are in the public domain (which they likely are not).  The other thing to consider is whether or not your use of the photos would fall under fair use (and if you publisher, if you are publishing, would allow you to make a fair use claim) and what the risk is of using them in a scholarly publication.  If you have more questions, feel free to contact me off list.  You can also try Janice at pilch at uiuc.edu

mb

Michael Brewer
University of Arizona Libraries
brewerm at u.library.arizona.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [mailto:SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU] On Behalf Of Anna Reid
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2011 4:38 PM
To: SEELANGS at BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: [SEELANGS] reproduction rights for photographs

Does anyone have advice on obtaining reproduction rights for photographs from Russian government archives? I am in correspondence with St Petersburg's Kinofonofoto archive on using a selection of their pictures for a book, and am having difficulty putting over the distinction between obtaining physical scans of the photographs (which I have already), and the legal right to use them. What I would love to hear is that photographs from state archives are in the public domain, though I fear this is not the case.
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Anna Reid, London.