Workshop on Space and Circulation

jwr jwr at ILLINOIS.EDU
Tue Apr 5 14:57:36 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I write to turn your attention to a Junior Scholar Training Workshop I am co-organizing this year at the University of Illinois’s Summer Research Lab, together with Professor Kelly O’Neill of Harvard University (History).  Titled “Space and Circulation in Russian and Eurasian Studies,” this workshop will examine the methods and tools scholars are using to analyze and visualize spatial relationships, and the meaning of such relationships for history, politics, society and culture.

I would be grateful if you could forward this announcement to any and all parties you think might be interested, and ask them to contact me (jwr at illinois.edu) with any questions they might have.  A small number of travel and housing grants are available in support of the Workshop; and participants will of course have access to our library’s great resources for research, and the programming of this year’s Summer Research Lab, which promises to be particularly exciting. (The link below provides information on this  as well).

Thank you very much for your assistance and interest!  Consideration of applications will begin on April 15th.
Best wishes,

John

JSTW Space and Circulation in Russian and Eurasian Studies

June 13-15, 2011, University of Illinois Summer Research Laboratory in Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies (Urbana, IL)

Moderators: John Randolph, Ph.D., University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, History and Kelly O'Neill, Ph.D., Harvard University, History

Goals

This workshop will bring together scholars from a variety of disciplines who are interested in using the analysis of spatial relationships—and of the circulation of people, things and information across our geography—to discover and interpret important problems in Russian and Eurasian studies.  We will consider such topics as the potential meaning of recent literatures on space and mobility for our discipline; the variety of tools (such as Geographical Information Systems, or GIS) that scholars are using to analyze spaces and the relationships that cross them; and the question of how to frame and visualize research, in terms of space and circulation, to maximum effect.

Format

The workshop will build from a short selection of readings and web-based materials, as a basis for common discussion.  It will then revolve around presentation of participants’ ongoing research projects, focusing on the role of space and systems of circulation within them.  The moderators, who are currently working on projects imagining what GIS can tell us about the making of the Early Russian Empire, will present examples from their work. Participants will have time to consult with GIS experts at the University of Illinois Scholarly Commons; to work in the University’s famed Slavic Collections; and to attend a number of concurrent workshops and symposia, as part of the University’s Summer Lab.

For applications, and other information, see:

http://www.reeec.illinois.edu/srl/programs/

----------------------
John Randolph

Associate Professor