Recommendations for summer study with the family...

anne marie devlin anne_mariedevlin at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 6 12:30:33 UTC 2011

Dear Amarilis,

I went to Moscow 15 years ago when my daughter was just three.  I was planning to stay for quite some time and enrolled her in a private (Russian) detskii sad.  She spoke only English at the time, but even so managed to integrate quite well.  The level of kindness and care was excellent and the facilities very good.  The only problems, if you could use so strong a word, were food and sleep time.  But as I said we were staying for a long time, so I don't think detskii sad would be an option for a short trip and it certainly wouldn't be suitable for the 8 year-old.  It might be an idea to get in touch with the institute you're studying at and ask if they could recommend someone to take care of the kids while you are studying.  A lively young person with a good command of English could make their stay very memorable.  For such a short period of time, I wouldn't bother with any formal tuition

As for the other issues, my daughter did if course get sick - never anything serious and we took her to a private (Russian) clinic which was very well priced and the staff highly informative.  I found out about the clinic through word of mouth.  Again, your institute should be able to make recommendations.  There were (are) many European/American managed clinics if you want something more familiar.

My time there with my daughter ran to four years and the whole experience was very positive.  What we loved most were the parks, the exposure to the arts  and the fact that children were welcome almost everywhere.  Our free time was always full of things to do and the fact that children under school age are generally let into things free, is a great advantage.

What could be frightening is the metro.  So I'd try to avoid it with kids during peak hours.  On a positive note, someone would always give up their seat to me.  Living in a flat was probably the worst aspect as you can't open your front door and run out into the garden.

It will be a great adventure for your kids

If you want any more info, feel free to get in touch off-list

Anne Marie