Google Translate: "Listen"

Sun Apr 10 02:28:38 UTC 2011

We've already discussed the advantages and disadvantages of Google's
translate module, which can be brilliant at times and incredibly dumb at
times.

Today I'd like to solicit opinions on their "Listen" buttons. If you
haven't already played with it, there are actually two -- one below the
input text, and one to the right of the input text. The one below
pronounces the input text, and the one to the right pronounces the
output (translated) text.

For those who have played around with this, I'd be interested to know
how realistic you find the Russian pronunciations. I suspect this is
some kind of computer-synthesized voice -- they surely haven't hired
someone to read thousands upon thousands of utterances.

I find the intonation and pacing of sentences not very natural, but
individual words and sounds are pretty good. What say you?

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com