висеть на форуме

Francoise Rosset frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU
Thu Apr 14 15:26:51 UTC 2011

Well, this is obviously calqued straight from English coolspeak. Our
students commonly say "to hang out" or just "hang."
You may feel you need something for the "na" part of "na forume."

Some examples on-line :

WITH a preposition
-a chat room where farmers can hang out
-Shaggy and Daphne fans hang out ... The owner/moderator(s) of this
forum is solely responsible for content posted
-A chat room to hang out, make new friends and meet people from
Argentina

TWO prepositions (yum, or semantic difference?)
-First though, why on earth would you want to hang around in our chat
room? Well, it's fun for one thing, most of the regulars hang out
there
-It seems that the people who actually hang out in that chat room take
issue with all the anti-idlers hanging around

WITHOUT (less common)
-weird ppl can come an hang chat room [public] created by [...address
removed -FR...] hey guys if your weird or just darn crazy come and
hang or chat here!

I think the hang outs have it.
If your translation is more literary and you want to be consistent you
could say "spend time on."
-FR

On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 07:08:27 -0700
  Psy Ling <psyling at YMAIL.COM> wrote:
> How would you translate the expression висеть на форуме? I so not
>think "to hang
> is a correct translation. I mean to be present on Internet forums
>all the time.
>
> The context is:
> многие эмигранты висят на русскоязычных форумах.
>
> Thank you.
> Psy Ling

>  options, and more.  Visit and bookmark the SEELANGS Web Interface
>at:

Francoise Rosset, Associate Professor
Chair, Russian and Russian Studies
Coordinator, German and Russian