висеть на форуме

John Dunn John.Dunn at GLASGOW.AC.UK
Thu Apr 14 15:46:13 UTC 2011

With respect, I don't think this is calqued from English at all.  I would interpret it as an extension of the long-standing phrase висеть на телефоне [viset' na telefone], whereas English 'hang out', hang about',  are an extension of the phrase 'hang about on street corners etc'.    In other words the Russian focuses on the length of time, while the main focus of the English is on the aimlessness (in the greater scheme of things) of the action.  For that reason I would go for something like:
They spend all their time on Russian-language forums.

John Dunn.
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Francoise Rosset [frosset at WHEATONMA.EDU]
Sent: 14 April 2011 17:26
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: Re: [SEELANGS] висеть  на форуме

Well, this is obviously calqued straight from English coolspeak. Our
students commonly say "to hang out" or just "hang."
You may feel you need something for the "na" part of "na forume."

Some examples on-line :

WITH a preposition
-a chat room where farmers can hang out
-Shaggy and Daphne fans hang out ... The owner/moderator(s) of this
forum is solely responsible for content posted
-A chat room to hang out, make new friends and meet people from
Argentina

TWO prepositions (yum, or semantic difference?)
-First though, why on earth would you want to hang around in our chat
room? Well, it's fun for one thing, most of the regulars hang out
there
-It seems that the people who actually hang out in that chat room take
issue with all the anti-idlers hanging around

WITHOUT (less common)
-weird ppl can come an hang chat room [public] created by [...address
removed -FR...] hey guys if your weird or just darn crazy come and
hang or chat here!

I think the hang outs have it.
If your translation is more literary and you want to be consistent you
could say "spend time on."
-FR