Moskovskaia dvortsovaia kontora

Margaret Anne Samu margaret.samu at NYU.EDU
Mon Apr 18 20:19:06 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

For a text I'm translating about the Makovskii brothers, I'm hoping there is a standard translation for Egor Ivanovich's (their father's) position and place of employment in Moscow in the first half of the 19th century:

"Otets--Egor Ivanovich Makovskii potomstvennyi, no nebogatyi dvorianin byl sluzhashchim moskovskoi dvortsovoi kontory."

Is a sluzhashchii specifically a clerk or just an unspecified employee? For the place of employment I'm coming up with the Moscow administrative offices of the Imperial court, but hoping there is a succint standard translation.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Gratefully,
Margaret Samu

Margaret Samu
Postdoctoral Fellow
Nineteenth-Century, Modern and Contemporary Art
The Metropolitan Museum of Art
1000 Fifth Avenue
New York, NY  10028-0198
212-396-5308