Ukranians in Russian popular culture

Natalie Kononenko nataliek at UALBERTA.CA
Wed Apr 20 02:52:54 UTC 2011

I will have an article coming out soon in Journal of American Folklore.  It
is called

The Politics of Innocence: Soviet and Post-Soviet Animation on Folklore
Topics and it deals with the portrayal of Ukrainians and other
"nationalities" in Soviet and post-Soviet animation.  Natalie Kononenko

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Prokhorova, Elena V <evprok at wm.edu> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>

> Could you suggest some sources on the representation of Ukraine and
> Ukrainians in Russian (Soviet/post-Soviet) culture?  A historical overview
> would be great; or a good article on recent portrayals of Ukranians in
> Russian literature and the media, including TV "serialy."
>

> One of my students is writing on the differences between Fran and Vika in
> the US and Russian versions of "The Nanny."  He read Stephen Hutchings and
> Natalia Rulyova's Chapter on 'My Fair Nanny" in _Television and Culture in
> Putin's Russia: Remote Control_ and wants to explore the issue further.
>

> Thank you!
>

> Sincerely,
>
> Elena Prokhorova
>
> College of William and Mary