Translations of Leonid Andreyev's "He Who Gets Slapped"

Kathleen Thompson kmt4n at VIRGINIA.EDU
Wed Aug 3 00:07:10 UTC 2011

I have a friend who is directing the play in the subject title, and she's
thus far only been able to get a hold of the Zilboorg translation, which is
(to her admittedly non-Russian-speaking ear) too stilted and literal. Does
anyone here happen to know of a translation that might be more amenable to
adaptation?

Some quick Googling led me to the existence of the following:

Walter Wykes' adaptation, published by Lulu.com in 2007;

F.D. Reeve's translation, in The Norton anthology titled "Twentieth-Century
Russian Plays: An Anthology", a 1973 reprint of the original 1963 issue;

Andrew MacAndrew's translation in "20th-Century Russian Drama", pub. by
Bantam Books in NY in 1963;

and, inexplicably, a 2009 translation by one George A. Carlin:
http://www.wildsidebooks.com/He-Who-Gets-Slapped-by-George-A-Carlin-Case-Laminate-HC_p_4830.html(also
on Google Books)

I found the MacAndrew and Reeve translations at our university library, and
upon cursory glance it seems that MacAndrew's is the less artificial, but
I'd love to hear others' opinions.

If anyone has any other suggestions, or preferences one way or another for
any of these translations, I'd very appreciatively pass them along to said
friend. Thank you!

Kathleen Thompson
PhD Student, Department of Slavic Languages and Literature
University of Virginia