E-reading world literature in Russian

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Wed Aug 3 16:27:35 UTC 2011

A belated response to James Beale's accusation from a person who
practically walks on books.

Many of us do language analysis. Compared to the olden days when we
collected examples by reading books and filing examples on card, now
we use the Internet and all possible data bases, Russian National
Corpus being the largest of them, I believe (before that there was
Tusnelda). However, the kind of analysis some of us do requires a
larger context than the one RNC provides. One can repeat the search a
zillion times every time enlarging the context by another sentence,
I've done that more than once when no other source was available; it's
tedious and time consuming. More often I am lucky enough to find that
work on the Internet, search it for the sentence in question and read
a page (or more, as context warrants) before that. Much of my research
requires a lot more than a sentence before or after. And I am glad
there is another resource on the internet to help me and other
linguists. Searching for that sentence in a book requires a Library of
Congress and sends us back to the card filing days.

Alina Israeli

Jul 12, 2011, в 4:59 PM, James Beale написал(а):

> Raising what I am sure will be a contentious issue (and certainly
> not aimed
> personally at Steve), but I would think that a list, whose members
> include
> authors and those who desire to be published, would not be
> interested in
> promoting yet another site that violates copyrights and an author's
> right to
> earn money.  Yes, we all know piracy is rampant on the internet and
> in the
> FSU, but is that any reason to help facilitate it?
>
> I think it's rich that this site also asks you to donate to the
> cause....
>
> James Beale
> Russia Online, Inc.
>
> Tel: 301-933-0607    Fax: 301-933-0615