Pro bono translation work

Sat Aug 27 14:49:32 UTC 2011

Cori Weiner wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
> I am posting this volunteer opportunity on behalf of Abby Giles of
> Social Sphere, a company based in Harvard Square.
>
> Cori Weiner
>
> WE ARE LOOKING FOR INTERESTED ENGLISH-RUSSIAN TRANSLATORS FOR AN
> EXCITING PROJECT, EXPECTED TO LAUNCH IN SEPTEMBER.
>
> As part of the U.S.-Russia dialogue reset, initiated by Presidents
> Obama and Medvedev, SocialSphere, Inc. is setting up a bilingual
> online collaboration platform to help the Mass Media Sub-Working
> Group to exchange views and ideas on specific deliverables, and
> overall, to enhance the US-Russian dialogue.  This closed and
> protected online space will host high-level American and Russian
> Delegates, representing their respective fields of business.
>
> The conference is sponsored by the State Department and the result of
> this online discussion will be presented in Moscow in the fall, with
> extensive media coverage.

As a professional translator, I find this "invitation" highly offensive.

I recognize the importance of U.S.-Russian dialogue, and hope the
project succeeds in moving our relationship forward. However, this is
not a case of destitute disaster victims who have nowhere to turn and
cannot afford to save themselves. Our government has a budget in the
trillions of dollars (yes, that's "trillions" with a "T"), but as it has
many times before, it tries to squeeze the language professionals that
it disrespects. If this were about building missiles or aircraft
carriers, it would be done on a "cost-plus" basis, and major contractors
would be fighting tooth and nail for the opportunity to reap the
windfall. But somehow our services are not valued.

The few thousands (yes, "thousands" with a "T") of dollars that our
governments save through this false economy cannot compare to the
millions or even billions our two nations stand to gain by doing it
right. I urge Ms. Giles to abandon this penny-wise, pound-foolish approach.

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com