Pro bono translation work

Sat Aug 27 15:50:56 UTC 2011

Mr. Sckolnick,

> Well then stay home---was that another B2 flying overheard-no it was a
> flight of F35s

Cute.

I'm sure we're safe today because Reagan outspent the Russians by buying
planes that can't fly in the rain and a missile defense system that
flunked every rigged test.

And yes, I don't need government work. There are plenty of businesses
out there who do recognize the value of our services and are willing to
pay fairly for them to ensure their own success. But this isn't Canada
or Europe, where the government does, too.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II>

... Cost estimates have risen to $382 billion for 2,443 aircraft, at an
average of $156 million each. The rising program cost estimates have
cast doubt on the actual number to be produced for the U.S. In January
2011, the F-35B variant was placed on "probation" for two years because
of development problems. In February 2011, the Pentagon put a price of
$207.6 million for each of the 32 aircraft to be acquired in FY2012,
rising to $304.15 million ($9,732.8/32) if its share of RDT&E spending
is included.

[end quote]

How many translators could they afford if they scrimped and bought one
fewer F-35? For $304.15 million, they could hire every single member of
SEELANGS full-time for a year, with money left over for champagne to
toast our health. (I'm assuming we have a thousand members, each happy
to accept $304K for a year. Even at the "minimal" cost of $156K, we'd
probably have a lot of takers.)

Paul B. Gallagher
pbg translations, inc.
http://pbg-translations.com