Pro bono translation work

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Sat Aug 27 17:09:14 UTC 2011

Oh yes, they could. I was thinking of the same embarassing
"peregruzka" when I read Paul's message. They should concentrate on
training translators and hiring the most qualified translators in
order to avoid another political embarassment. Not to mention
political conflict. One such conflict was created in the 80's when the
American side at the negociating table stated "Let's tackle this
problem aggressively." The Russian translator traslated "агрессивно".
The Russian side got up and left the room.

Aug 27, 2011, в 12:19 PM, BAER, BRIAN написал(а):

> Paul is right, of course. This offer of pro bono work is an
> invitation to translators to participate in their own
> marginalization. Enough already. But then, the cynic in me says that
> this appeal for volunteers might be simply an attempt to avoid using
> the state department translators who told Hillary Clinton that
> "reset" was "peregruzka"?! A bunch of unpaid amateurs couldn't do
> much worse than that...
>
> Brian James Baer
> Professor of Russian and Translation Studies
> Institute for Applied Linguistics
> Kent State University
> Kent, OH  44242

Alina Israeli