Pro bono translation work

Ivan S. Eubanks ieubanks at PUSHKINIANA.ORG
Sat Aug 27 22:54:23 UTC 2011

...the humanities in academia are frequently criticized for failing to
produce graduates with marketable skills.  As long as translators work
for free, their skills will remain unmarketable, however necessary they
may be to international commerce and politics.

The thing that's so insulting about the pro bono translation project is
that it's billed as an opportunity to that will somehow benefit the
translator by "getting her work out there."  Advertising firms run the
same game with visual artists on Craigslist, offering them
"opportunities for recognition" in exchange for free logos or other
types of designs.

Personally, it infuriates me, because the humanities in academia are
frequently criticized for failing to produce graduates with marketable
skills.  As long as visual artists work for free...

I'll stop now, lest I repeat myself to the point of apoplexy.  Suffice
it to say that I sympathize with all of the people on this list who have
expressed their opposition to working for free when those in our
profession are often underpayed, usually underemployed, and widely
underappreciated.

Dr. Ivan S. Eubanks
Co-Editor
/Pushkin Review / Пушкинский вестник/ <http://www.pushkiniana.org>