Pro bono translation work

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 29 19:09:41 UTC 2011

Dear fellow beleaguered SEELANGERs,

A tangential topic that I thought you might find infuriatingly amusing:

A Facebook acquaintance of mine has been asked on Etsy to translate a
passage from one of the "Twilight" books into Sindarin (the made-up language
used in "Middle Earth in the "Lord of the Rings" series; I had to look it up
myself).

When they speak of "spreading crap on crap", this fits that metaphor nicely,
doesn't it? *intellectual cringe*

She was rather insulted by the request (not the least of which reasons being
as she was quick to admit she doesn't "speak" Sindarin). I wonder, was she
even offered payment for this service? (I'll let you know when I find out.)
People who want to buy things on Etsy sometimes grossly underestimate how
much things cost; I have a shop there myself (knitting, not translating).
Translators aren't cheap!!

Stephanie