Unpaid translation work

Melissa Smith mtsmith02 at YSU.EDU
Sun Aug 28 01:20:06 UTC 2011

Dear Cori:

I believe many if not most of our member/translators would say that,
depending on the material, it's often easier to do one's own
translation than try to edit anothers' work.

Melissa Smith

On 8/27/11 6:55 PM, Cori Weiner wrote:
> I have forwarded your concerns to Abby Giles, and hopefully she will
get back to you next week as to the details of the budget and why this
decision was made.

> Incidentally, I also immediately realized that the quality of the work
would not be high enough and recommended a translation editor.  (I know
a paid translator from the State Dept has been aiding in the testing
and selection process).  Of course, your concerns dig much deeper, and
the consequences of offering such work are indeed far-reaching.  In
short, I would be interested as well in finding out the reasoning
behind this decision.

> Cori Weiner
>

> Cori Weiner
> Center for English Language & Orientation Programs
> Boston University
> phone: 617-353-4870
> fax: 617-353-6195
> web: www.bu.edu/celop

> ---------------------------
> CELOP is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program
> Accreditation.  Accreditation by CEA signifies that an English
language
> program or institution has met nationally accepted standards of
> excellence and assures students and their sponsors that the English
> language instruction and related services will be of the highest
> quality.

-

Melissa T. Smith, Professor
Department of Foreign Languages and