free indirect discourse

Robert A. Rothstein rar at SLAVIC.UMASS.EDU
Mon Aug 29 23:32:58 UTC 2011

On 8/29/2011 4:03 PM, Marina Grishakova wrote:
> The term "verschleierte Rede" was coined by Kalepky in 1899 and the
> term "erlebte Rede" by Lorck in 1914.
         Judging by the comments of Margueritte Lips (Le style indirect
libre, Paris : Payot, 1926), Lorck was still using the French
terminology in 1914 and didn't introduce "erlebte rede" until 1921, but
to be sure I will have to check the 1914 paper in Germanisch-Romanische
Monatschrift.

         [...]
> Anyway, Wikipedia is not a reliable source.
         It can be - if you use it carefully (as Alina did). As Ronald
Reagan said, Доверяй, но проверяй (Doveriai, no proveriai).

Bob Rothstein