Tolstoy -Lermontov "Borodino"

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Tue Aug 30 11:34:09 UTC 2011

Durylin, I think, is one of the most fascinating figures of
20th c. Russian culture. Obviously, I am interested in him for
his bridge between Church and culture (he constrituted that
very bridge, at a very personal expense), as well as between
Ort5hodoxy and Franciscanism, and between what gave rise to
someone like Pasternak and what was the native ground for
someone like Sergey Fudel.  Durylin's memoirs (В своем углу)
is one of the most fascinating books you can just read for
pleasure, but they are also fascinating psychologically and
factually.
Durylin's interest in Tolstoy is very symptomatic, in and of
itself, of his interests in important controversies in
culture, first and foremost, but not exclusively, Russian.

Thanks, Sasha!!!