2 More questions about Bazhov, Gorny master

Elena Ostrovskaya elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 1 16:58:19 UTC 2011

Dear Robert,

2011/1/1 Robert Chandler <kcf19 at dial.pipex.com>:

> - ЛАДНО, - ОТВЕЧАЕТ, - ЧТО КАМЕННОЙ СДЕЛАЕТСЯ!  ДЛЯ ТЕБЯ ГОВОРЮ - ЧТОБ ОСТУДЫ У ВАС НЕ БЫЛО.
>
> Am I right in thinking that the first sentence could have had a question mark at the end of it?  And that it means something like "Don't worry.  What does it matter to someone who is made of stone?  (i.e. to someone LIKE ME who is made of stone!)

Yes, you are right. The question mark is not really meant, though, I'd
say, as что мне сделается! = it's nothing to me. I mean it is not even
a rhetoric question anymore.

> What I find most difficult is the  ДЛЯ ТЕБЯ. Does it mean "for your sake'?  Or is it simply 'to you'?  And does the whole sentence mean "I'm telling you all this so that the two of you don't have quarrels".  Or is it 'And what I say to you is "DON'T QUARREL!" ' ?

It's 'for your sake' and остуда is not ссора, but "охладждение в
отношениях", according to Ушаков, and marked as "regional or folk". So
I would translate the whole thing as "I am saying it for your sake,
Katya, so that the two of you did not FALL OUT OF LOVE". The
capitalized part differs form the original in register as остуда, to
my ear is really marked stylistically.

Happy New Year! And thanks for bringing us back to work in this first
day of the year!

Elena Ostrovskaya