sources for public opinion during Soviet era

Margarita Nafpaktitis nafpaktitism at VIRGINIA.EDU
Mon Jan 3 01:05:29 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I teach an interdisciplinary course on Soviet/Russian culture in the spring
for which I ask my students to choose their own topic for a research paper.
Invariably, I end up with at least half a dozen students who want to find
out more about Russian public opinion on a particular issue (arms control,
television, fashion, politics, etc.) during the Soviet era.  My own
experience makes me think that data on Soviet-era public opinion are hard to
come by, but I'm wondering if maybe I'm wrong about that?  Are there useful
sources out there (besides the Shlapentokhs) that I should know about?

Any and all suggestions would be most welcome!

Thank you in advance,

Margarita

Margarita Nafpaktitis
Assistant Professor of Slavic Languages & Literatures
University of Virginia
109 New Cabell Hall / PO Box 400783
Charlottesville, Virginia 22904-4783
Tel: (434) 924-3548   FAX: (434) 982-2744
http://artsandsciences.virginia.edu/slavic/people/mn2t.html