R: [SEELANGS] Homosexuality in the Soviet Union

E Wayles Browne ewb2 at CORNELL.EDU
Fri Jan 14 21:16:05 UTC 2011

Look up the word gomoseksualizm in the second edition of the Bol'shaia
Sovetskaia entsiklopediia (1949-1958). If my memory serves me right, the
encyclopedia said that in an ideal communist society it wouldn't exist.
However the third edition (1969-1978) pointed out that it was punishable
under Soviet law, so evidently it had not yet gone out of existence at that
time.