Homosexuality in the Soviet Union

Stefani, Sara Marie samastef at INDIANA.EDU
Sat Jan 15 16:49:53 UTC 2011

Hello Ian,

You could try the following:

Out of the Blue: Russia's Hidden Gay Literature: an anthology, ed. Kevin Moss

Brian Baer, "Engendering Suspicion: Homosexual Panic in the Post-Soviet Detektiv" Slavic Review, 64/1 (spring 2005)

Brian Baer, Other Russias: Homosexuality and the Crisis of Post-Soviet Identity

Gender and Sexuality in Russian Civilisation, ed. Peter I. Barta

Dan Healey, Homosexual Desire in Revolutionary Russia: The Regulation of Sexual and Gender Dissent

Igor S. Kon, The Sexual Revolution in Russia: From the Age of the Czars to Today (published in 1995) - has a chapter called "Coming Out into Chaos"

Igor Kon, "Sexual Minorities" in Sex and Russian Society, edited by Igor Kon and James Riordan

Kevin Moss, "The Underground Closet: Political and Sexual Dissidence in East European Culture" in Post-Communism and the Body Politic, ed. Ellen E. Berry

Good luck!

Best,
Sara Stefani