Homosexuality in the Soviet Union

John C. DeSantis John.C.DeSantis at DARTMOUTH.EDU
Sat Jan 15 17:22:31 UTC 2011

--- "Ian" wrote:
Hi everyone!
I have an oral exam coming up and think I am going to choose the topic of h=
omosexuality in the the Soviet Union for the exam.  I was just curious if a=
nyone might have any source recommendations (both for the legal situation a=
nd every day life).  Let me know if anything good comes to mind!
Best=2C
Ian
--- end of quote ---

One of the best sources on the late Soviet era is David Tuller's "Cracks in the Iron Closet" (U. of Chicago Press, 1997).  A journalistic approach, with great insight into the subculture at the time and the legal issues.  Highly recommended.

John DeSantis
Dartmouth College