[SEELA NGS] он сл омал *себ е* ногу v s. он сло м ал н огу

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Thu Jan 20 15:06:12 UTC 2011

The way you put questions would make a good research paper for a
graduate student who would have to spend a year or two in the field,
and look if there are gender/regional/class/age differences.

The current data suggests that in the 19th century they predominantly
used "sebe" and in the 20th predominantly without.

I doubt this is a word that could have any gender based distinction in
the usage. But one never knows. Send you grad students.

AI

Jan 20, 2011, в 5:23 AM, anne marie devlin написал(а):

> Somehow, I don't think that raw statistical data on frequency of use
> gives the answer.  What we need to know is in which contexts they
> are used.  "она сломала ногу" may be 30 times more frequent;
> however, "я сломала себе ногу" is still present, so we need to ask
> in which social context is себе added. Is it found in written or
> spoken data?, is it particular to a region?, is it gender-based/age-
> based/class-based?. Is it a formal/informal situation. Is the
> speaker high/low/equal status to the interlocutor?
> I'm also presuming that the google corpus is a corpus of written
> data, and written and spoken data are often not comparable
> AM

Alina Israeli
Associate Professor of Russian
LFS, American University