Lev Lunts and His Primates

Shvabrin, Stanislav shvabrin at HUMNET.UCLA.EDU
Thu Jan 20 17:13:33 UTC 2011

Michael Arthur Green's, Jerome Katsell's and mine take on Lunts's metatheatrical masterpiece The Monkeys are Coming! (see our The Monkeys Are Coming: Russian Drama of the 1920s, Translated from the Russian, edited, and with an introduction by Michael A. Green, Jerome H. Katsell, and Stanislav Shvabrin, Charles Schlacks, 2009), was preceded by J. Douglas Clayton's The Apes Are Coming! (see his Pierrot in Petrograd: Commedia dell'arte/Balagan in Twentieth Century Russian Theatre and Drama [McGuill-Queen's UP, 1993]).

Those same monkeys, incidentally, are on their way to Princeton, as part of my "20th Century Non-Conformist Russian Theater" (Spring 2011, performance component including).

Best regards,

Stanislav Shvabrin.
From: SEELANGS: Slavic & East European Languages and Literatures list [SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu] On Behalf Of Elena Ostrovskaya [elena.ostrovskaya at GMAIL.COM]
Sent: Thursday, January 20, 2011 1:49 AM
To: SEELANGS at bama.ua.edu
Subject: [SEELANGS] Lev Luntz

Dear SEELANGERs,

A friend of a friend is looking for translations of Lev Luntz's works into
English. The only thing we were able to find so far was a recent (2009)
collection of Russian  drama: The Monkeys Are Coming. Russian Drama of the
1920s with one play by Luntz.
Even with the three versions of spelling for his last name (Lunts, Luntz,
Lunc), no more translations come up.
So, does anybody happen to know any others?

Thank you in advance

Elena Ostrovskaya,
Assistant Professor
Russian State University for the Humanities