etymology of одеяло

Stephanie Briggs sdsures at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 21 12:05:22 UTC 2011

Hi,

In a recent list email someone was talking about their blanket (одеяло). I
knit for a living, so I often use this vocabulary of knitting too. Does
anyone know how this word came to be associated with "blanket"? In terms of
foreign English words appropriated into Russian (i.e. журналист/ка) you can
see the resemblance between the mother tongue and Russian in the way the
words sound.Not in this case, though.

I'm wondering what language, if any, одеяло came from; if it is purely
Russian, what does the root mean? (Russian roots often come from Greek
rather than Latin, I was told).

Спасибо!

Stephanie

PS: Does anyone else own the *Barron's book of Russian Slang*? I find it an
entertaining read, if a little biased in terms of vocabulary that
foreigners, esp Americans, are assumed to want to learn. Everyone always
wanted to know, when I spoke Russian, if I knew any insulting words or curse
words. Why this fascination with the obscene?

~Stephanie D. (Sures) Briggs
http://sdsures.blogspot.com/

Come have a look at my handmade knitted afghans and scarves!
THIRD SALE: 06/08/10!
http://warmochfuzzy.etsy.com/
http://warm-och-fuzzy.blogspot.com/

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/sdsures