Two more Bazhov questions

greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU greniers at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Jan 26 16:12:37 UTC 2011

I completely agree with you, William, but what bothers me is the tone of Ralph's reply. Looking things up in Dal (which is fortunately now available online) is always my own first impulse when dealing with older texts. On the other hand, finding things in Dal sometimes takes quite an effort: you basically need to skim through the whole entry, sometimes a very lengthy one, to find the particular word or meaning, so it is understandable if someone wants to use a shortcut (the list). As you note, interesting discussions sometimes ensue--so what is the harm of asking?  Moreover, it is often fun to read excerpts from various texts quoted in the queries.  We all learn something in the process. But no one compels any of us to read all of the questions, much less to answer, so I don't see the reason for incivility.
Best to all,
Svetlana