Two more Bazhov questions

Olga Meerson meersono at GEORGETOWN.EDU
Wed Jan 26 16:28:30 UTC 2011

Thank you, Sveta, Paul G., and Will.
What I value most about Robert (have been an important target of many of his questions) is that he always senses something deliberately skaz-like in Russian narratives, i.e., something deliberately deviating from norms. Dal' may or may not help there. For example, he would not specify what is an arcane term and what, a metaphor, at least by our times, when the idioms have changed, died, or evolved. Dal' is not really outdated because he defines many obsolete expressions that need commentary now even more than in his days, but neither can he help with OUR deciding what is obsolete and therefore ambiguous or metaphorically marked, TODAY.
For example, I wonder what tone R.M. Cleminson will discern in my following comment:

Почто ругаешися широковещательне и многошумне, аки царь Иоанн на Курбскаго?  Роберту же--честь и МЕСТО.

Dal' will explain every single word here but not the tone of the sentence, neither, perhaps, the quotation context :)
o.m.