AATSEEL announcement: Executive Director and new AATSEEL home

Nancy Condee condee at PITT.EDU
Sun Jul 10 13:36:57 UTC 2011

As of 1 July 2011, AATSEEL has a new Executive Director.  Dr. Elizabeth
Durst (University of Southern California) will replace Dr. Patricia Zody,
who has just completed her second AATSEEL term and is now settled at a new
job with American Councils.

Elizabeth is currently a lecturer in the Writing Program at the University
of Southern California, where she earned a doctoral degree in Russian
literature. Her research includes women's fashion in Russia in the early
twentieth-century and the role of dress in conveying western notions of the
new woman in a modern urban context.  We welcome Elizabeth and look forward
to working with her in the months ahead leading up to the upcoming AATSEEL
meeting in Seattle (5-8 January 2012).  Elizabeth may now be reached for
AATSEEL matters at aatseel at usc.edu.

Among the changes associated with this new hiring has been a six-month
follow-up to Pat's excellent suggestion of an institutional home for
AATSEEL.  Together with Pat, the presidents-Sibelan Forrester (former
president), Caryl Emerson (outgoing president), Tom Seifrid (president
elect), and I-have explored several university and non-university options,
in hopes of finding a good institution where AATSEEL might be located under
terms grounded in a memorandum of agreement for a proposed five-year period.
In the early summer, in close consultation with legal teams on both sides,
we were able to reach an excellent agreement with the University of Southern
California, where Elizabeth is located, and have signed a memorandum of
agreement for the next five years.  This new institutional home will provide
office space, technical support, and a potential pool of extra hands when
needed, and will move the organization toward a new level of logistical
security and professional visibility.

We wish Pat good luck, thank her warmly for her years of efficient,
dedicated service to the organization, and know that we will see her often
at the AATSEEL conferences.  Please join us in welcoming Elizabeth to the
job.

Best, Nancy Condee (President, AATSEEL)

Prof. N. Condee, Director

Global Studies Center (NRC Title VI)

University Center for International Studies

University of Pittsburgh

4103 Wesley W. Posvar Hall

Pittsburgh, PA 15260

+1 412-363-7180