literature for course in "civilization and culture" in the fall

Alina Israeli aisrael at AMERICAN.EDU
Mon Jul 11 21:11:10 UTC 2011

It all depends on the definition of "today's Russia". And how
recognizable and by whom should it be?

http://www.amazon.com/50-Writers-Anthology-Cultural-Syllabus/dp/1936235226

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_38?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=rasskazy+new+fiction+from+a+new+russia&sprefix=rasskazy+new+fiction+from+a+new+russia

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_28?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=contemporary+russian+fiction&sprefix=contemporary+russian+fiction

Jul 9, 2011, в 11:30 AM, Charlotte Rosenthal написал(а):

> Dear Seelangtsy!
>

> Can anyone suggest a book readily available in English translation
> of a recent literary work (or works) that is "recognizable" as
> taking place in today's Russia?  I'm open to any genre, including a
> collection, in any one of the "brows"--high, low, or middle. We will
> be reading an anthology of "classical" works, so I'm less concerned
> about the nature of this last reading.  All the works I'm familiar
> with myself are either not available in translation or too
> postmodernist to be "readable" by my students.
>

> I'd appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks so much.
>

> Charlotte Rosenthal
>

> Charlotte Rosenthal, Ph. D.
> Professor of Russian
> Dept. of Modern & Classical Langs. and Lits. University of Southern
> Maine
> Portland, ME 04104-9300 U.S.A.
>
> crosenth at usm.maine.edu
> http://blogs.usm.maine.edu/crosenth/